NoVa Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NoVa Gaming Community

Nova gaming

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Guide/Tips on MovieMaking by tofu

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nomnomtofu
Administrator
Administrator
nomnomtofu

Guide/Tips on MovieMaking by tofu Empty
PostSubject: Guide/Tips on MovieMaking by tofu   Guide/Tips on MovieMaking by tofu Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 6:48 am

Now i'm not some big shot editor but i think im a decent one and want people to get to my level and go even farther. Ive been really bored over the past few weeks and have decided to help players get more into the community and the game by introducing moviemaking. If anyone reads this guide and does make a clip, please post it up here so I can see how well this has helped people and to give feedback on what you can do better next time. So let's start!

Now i'm probably going to be uploaded this in steps/stages with a few tip posts here and there.

BASICS

What you need:

Sony Vegas Pro (8.0, 9.0, 10.0, doesnt really matter)
Magic Bullet Looks (Advanced Color Correction)
Virtual Dub (for compiling your tga's into avi's)
Adobe After Effects (Advanced effects)
Photoshop (Advanced graphics and effects)
Cinema 4D (Advanced 3D stuff)

I use Fcuk's moviemaking cfg. Look him up on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/user/thafcuk. I use his because it's the first one i ever used and it still works but go look around for some other moviemaking cfgs. look for the updated config for new source. So when some people record they have two accounts, one for mm (moviemaking) and one for gaming. Just ask around for a vac banned account for free. vac banned because no one really wants them and you can still play demos cause demos arent VACed. Or you can use another way where you have two cstrike folders and rename them (such as using cstrikeg to game and cstrikem to record. the game always takes the folder thats just named cstrike so rename the folders when when switching out).

RECORDING

Note that this is the longest and most boring process. And I suggest you have about 100~ or more extra gb on your harddrive because this takes up a lot of memory but is easily deleted.

Go ingame and exec the cfg. make sure that the ingame resolution is 1280x720 or if capable, 1920x1080. open up your demo in demoui (open up console and type in demoui) and load it up. When obtaining demos from players, always have them name or label the demo with the tick, frag, and player. example: demo name renamed to 13k_tripleawp_tofu
So when the demo is loaded goto the tick that they supplied you with. When the demo loads back up again immediately pause it. Now the cfg would remove all the bars and make everything pretty so all you have to really worry about is the framerate (the fps you record at) and the deathnotices when you smooth (flying around in spec while lookin at kids)

i personally record at 600-1000 fps for smooths and for frags but if you want to go super slow use 1000 or more. You need a large harddrive and a lot of unused space. I have around 300 gb large hd (harddrive) and i have around 140 gb thats unused. So anyways, you CANNOT move around in the demo when it's paused or when the demoui is open. so when it loads at the tick you pause it, close it, click around until you get into the first person perspective and set youre framerate (host_framerate number) So when recording first person view thats all you have to do. Then just type in startmovie (movienamehere) and play it. It records EVERYTHING thats on the ingame screen so remember to close the demoui and console when recording. Keep in mind that this process is SLOOW. and it gets slower with more fps but looks better in the end. so when youre done recording and you have all the footage you want in that view just open up the console and type in endmovie.

when smoothing all you have to do is play the demo as you move around in spec. thats all it is. never use the mouse, only smoothing keys so its smooth and clean. in oldoldold source editors used r_aspectratio to make the camera shot look better but they removed that in new source.

COMPILING

After youre done recording, exit source. open up virtual dub and drag the VERY FIRST tga file of the recorded clip from the cstrike folder into virtual dub. for example if i record a file named omgkill, there will be literally thousands of little omgkill_ files. drag the one that ends with the number 0000 into vdub. When you have done that go into video, frame rate, and set the framerate to whatever you recorded ingame with. so if you used host_Framerate 1000 ingame, use 1000 in vdub. Then save as avi into a special folder onto your desktop for your recorded files. You can run as many compiling vdubs at once but it will be slow. So when you save as avi uncheck all the boxes in the loading screen and wait.

DEMOS

POV:
-Glitchy/Laggy
-Shows recoil (looks bad in clips)
-Smoothing is different and takes longer
-Must need a special program to get rid of the hud
-Can only see from one persons view thus POV (Point of View) and is recorded from the players computer

STV:
-Smooth/No Lag
-Does not show recoil
-Smoothing is fast and easy
-MM cfg takes away hud
-Can see everyones view and recorded from a server with Source TV (STV) on.

To record POV demos you must go into console and type "record [demoname]" to start it, and to stop you must type in "stopdemo" or "stop" I forgot.

To record STV demos you need rcon to the server and have to type in "rcon tv_enable 1" in the console and restart the server to turn on STV. If or when STV is on type in "rcon tv_record [demoname]" and to stop STV, you can either restart the server, change the map, or type in "rcon tv_stopdemo" in the console.

EDITING

Look up render settings on youtube if you need them but i suggest clayman's render settings (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBm_rAwsnRY). When starting out, go for a small clip with maybe a frag or two with some smooths. make sure audio levels are ok and not too low or loud. watch other peoples clips to get an idea of what a "good" clip is. here is where you develop your own style and get to generate some creativity. I wont tell you how to edit because thats basically telling you my style. find out what process works for you such as maybe starting with a certain kind of smooth at the beginning of the players in spawn or something then fading into the frag slowly. Know that you must edit with the flow of the song. so dont go low and slow on some fast loud song. remember to fade in and out on both audio and video clips. press "s" to split a clip and you can play around in vegas to figure out how things work.

Glossary

smoothing/smooth: flying around in spectator like a boss
standart/standard/std: average frag, nothing really special
fps: frames per second
demo: .dem file, can only be played in source. The frags are in the demo.
tick: the tick is used to locate frags. for instance if i say "the tick is 3300" you will open the demo and goto tick 3300 and you will find the frag.
cfg: config
mm: moviemaking
fragshow: a video with no edit to show frags
clean: a clean frag/player means they dont cheat. clean edit means its simple and not overdone yet looks nice

and here is fcuks site where you can download the software, plugins, sounds, cfgs and tutorials for advanced editing or tweaks to make youre clips look better.
http://fcuk.up4.net/

so thats it for part one, if anything comes up please ask any questions and i will respond to the best of my abilities. i did not completely read over this so if theres any typos or unclear instructions, please point them out so i may correct them.

Last edited by nomnomtofu on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nomnomtofu
Administrator
Administrator
nomnomtofu

PostSubject: Re: Guide/Tips on MovieMaking by tofu   Guide/Tips on MovieMaking by tofu Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 6:49 am

Being a Moviemaker

Now you may be asking, "What is editing then?" Well in a quick definition its something you create yourself through your own creativity and aspect. Now for some YouTube/Moviemaker etiquette. I know this might sound odd but this will lessen conflict with other editors and YouTube users. Now when creating a youtube account it doesnt really matter what kind of name you use. A common name thats been going around always starts with only (onlyskyy, onlyintercept) or ending with 1337 (come on now...) or the year when the account was created (2k09, 2k10, 2k11) Background and info is all up to you. In the "Other Channels" box i suggest you only put close friends and mates in there instead of big moviemakers because it makes you look like an uberfanboi. Now when uploading content, i suggest that you not put something stupid like UBAR1337 HD PWNAGE but something more original or just the player name and yours (shadow by tofu) When commenting on other editors clips, give your opinion. not just "sick clip brah". Most editors want feedback. So when you receive a comment that may not be positive but give critique, take that in mind. thank them for their feedback and make sure to correct yourself next time. Viewers will like it when you take their advice, and you would like it when you get advice. when creating tags, dont go too far. maybe just put in your channel name, the player name, and what kind of happened in the clip (shadow tofuninja123 double kill awp nuke). try to be kind unless the other person is a faggot then just leave them alone. doing sub4subs isnt really respectful to yourself or others. Its saying "hey bro, im lacking subscribers. how about we subscribe to eachother to boost our popularity" Gain subscribers with a good reputation. Dont fake or steal clips like this kid YouTube - CS:S | wyrm | mixxxclip this kid stole his clips from s0wzz who is a big editor that was taken down because of youtube copyright stuff. When you and other editors think youre ready, make an application clip to a movie team. nothing big but something that has editors on the same level as you. Find mm friends. I met nearly all my good mates from editing. In short, be a cool and friendly guy. take criticism and give. dont ignore and dont act like a faggot.

That's all for this part. Next part I'll show a little more critiques on more clips and go more into the YouTube community.

-Shoutouts to encounter for being the one of the best mates ive ever had in all of my sourcing, to shadow, licardo, dfox, and frost for being the best source group ive ever played with. blink, waxhax, noize, rza, linus, and alphamassaka/trivium (whatever you wanna call yourself) for being there for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nomnomtofu
Administrator
Administrator
nomnomtofu

PostSubject: Re: Guide/Tips on MovieMaking by tofu   Guide/Tips on MovieMaking by tofu Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 6:50 am

YouTube Community

Lets start off by presenting the most popular and best movie teams at the moment:

Sparkles Production
YouTube - SparklesProd's Channel
Currently hosting an editing competition for all games on all platforms so be sure to keep up with the latest entries!

Sunny Pictures
YouTube - SunnyPicturesTV's Channel
Another high level movie team with the famous emiz (YouTube - toddi379's Channel)

Ghost Pictures
YouTube - GhostPicturesTV's Channel
Led by the famous Dany Baron (YouTube - DanyBaron's Channel) with more high level editors.

Those are three of the top teams and anyone is free to add more.

Editors that seem to be rather popular are:

rechyyy
YouTube - clayman90's Channel
Editor of the amazing Incorporated 2 movie (YouTube - Counter-Strike: Source: Incorporated 2)

tweeday
YouTube - tweedayy's Channel

3n19ma/enigma
YouTube - 3n19ma's Channel
talented editor who is popular among the community.

TheDemoVault
YouTube - TheDemoVault's Channel
Need demos for both old and new source for viewing and editing purposes? Weekly frags are fragshowed here from both the community and professional players!

docJ/jeff
YouTube - docjefft's Channel
a member of the once famous infected productions but seems to be inactive. Editor of the redemption movie (YouTube - REDEMPTION css movie)

fcuk
YouTube - thafcuk's Channel
Although accused of betraying Sparkles and the team, he is a good member of the community providing great clips, entertainment, and software/plugins/etc. for moviemakers. Leader of the upcoming Genesis Entertainment (YouTube - GenesisEntHD's Channel)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guide/Tips on MovieMaking by tofu   Guide/Tips on MovieMaking by tofu Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guide/Tips on MovieMaking by tofu
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NoVa Gaming Community :: Gaming :: Counter Strike: Source-
Jump to: